I lost 10 pounds the first month. Not to mention all that belly bulge! Isn’t that amazing!
Now it’s been three months and I look even better. And I feel FANTASTIC!! All this time I think I’ve actually had a gluten allergy in addition to a casein allergy. I have so much more energy and I’ve even lost all of those awful sugar cravings.
Was I 100% faithful to all the tenants? No.
Did that seem to matter? Not really.
The first week was hard because of the sugar withdrawl, but – minus a couple of headaches – it was tolerable. I made sure to double up on my vitamins (especial D, B6/12, C, Zinc and fish oil) and drink more water.
I didn’t like all the recipes I tried and found out that I am not a big fan of replacing flour in baked goods with coconut flour or almond meal. If I have to have something like a muffin or a cake I’m just going to break the rules and go with a rice flour mix like the Cherrybrook Farms cake mix (dairy, gluten, egg and nut free) I used in BullodozerBaby’s birthday cake.
The most important part of the diet was to include protein at every meal and snack. You would think I would get sick of eggs and bacon but I really didn’t. I supplemented where necessary with my powdered protein mixes (Jay Robb egg white protein powder and Amazing Grass) and that seemed to give me enough variety to survive.
Will I continue? Definitely. I feel fantastic. My mind is so much more clear and I just feel lighter on the inside.
My Favorite Resources
- My version of the Paleo Diet Plan rules.
- Recipes: Check out my Pinterest Boards on Paleo/Primal, Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free recipes, Nutrition and Weight Loss pins and benefits of Real Food.
- CrossFit – the exercise program that goes with the Paleo Diet. (Personally, I’m not up to this yet and just do the elliptical for 30 minutes followed by 10 minutes of strength training and 20 minutes of yoga twice a week.) Check out my Pinterest board of all the lovely Crossfit and Yoga ideas I want to try when I’m in better shape!
- Primal Toad – Todd’s website is very helpful; this is where I got most of my information when I first started.
- Great recipes and advice via blog: PaleOMG
My Favorite PALEO Products
- PaleoLife Bars on Amazon – I can’t live without these things. I love doing Paleo, but I just can’t make it everyday without something already prepared for snacks. Total fail on my part, but that is life working full-time with littles in the house. These are awesome because they taste great, they have 17g of protein, have all natural “real” ingredients and no Gluten, Wheat, Soy, Dairy, Sugar or Agave-laden inflammatory source ingredients!
- Coconut Oil – I do use some butter now and then, but most of the time I cook using coconut oil. Check out this article by Hybrid Rasta Mama for 160 uses of coconut oil. Personally, I love Tropical Traditions best, but I can’t always afford it. In those instances I rely on my Amazon Prime membership and like the Nutiva brand almost as much.